POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : One picture, multiple machines, using radiosity : Re: One picture, multiple machines, using radiosity Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One picture, multiple machines, using radiosity
From: Tim Nikias
Date: 19 Oct 2004 14:30:00
Message: <41755d28$1@news.povray.org>
> If I split a rendering between multiple computers,
> and the rendering is using radiosity, should I have
> one machine generate the radiosity file to be used
> by all the others? Or will Pov do fine without it?

You have to generate and save it before and then load the data on the
different machines. I've never tried it myself (because I've only got one
PC), but there have been numerous reports about radiosity not looking alike.
This is because POV-Ray only generates radiosity-samples in the visible
image, so when you split the image onto several machines, these gather
different samples. Gathering the data can also be done on a somewhat smaller
image IIRC.

To make sure that the machines don't gather individual additional data, use
always_sample off. It might be a good idea to slightly overlap the
distributed parts of the image though, so that you could stitch them
together in an image application if borders still don't look proper. But
that's just a wild guess, I'm just not sure if the output will be 100% the
same even when you load the data.

Regards,
Tim

--